Robotics: Smart Bullets, Terminators & other cyborg stories
1) Smart Bullets: The "Mini-me" of smart bomb technology is ready to leave the lab.
2) "How Does a Terminator Know When Not to Terminate?" -- In the skies above Afghanistan and along the roadsides of Iraq, unmanned military machines are changing the nature of combat. These robots might one day be making life-or-death decisions themselves.
A feature article for the October 2010 issue of Discover magazine.
3) "Unlocking the Paralysis Riddle: Researchers studying spinal cord injuries have observed certain patterns of the human brain that may ultimately enable paraplegics and quadriplegics to regain some motor activity in their paralyzed limbs -- or use their brains to control robotic limbs."
4) "Bot Battle More of a Lovefest: Battle Bots it is not. This is a robot competition sans buzz saws or blowtorches. Friday's competition at MIT, involving eight teams of students drawn from seven countries, capped off a two-week workshop -- sort of an engineering student's summer camp."
5) A story for Wired.com on April 15, 2002 about MIT professor Rodney Brooks's Kismet robot, as he presented it at the Toward a Science of Consciousness Conference in Tucson, Arizona.
image by U.S. Air Force