Self-Driving and/or Electric Cars
* “Oak Ridge Scientists Inch Closer to 15 Minute Wireless EV Charging”: But the team must further scale their 120-kilowatt wireless charging system for electric vehicles in order to meet the U.S. Department of Energy's goal. An article for IEEE Spectrum online on Oct. 31, 2018.
* "RethinkX: Self-Driving Electric Cars Will Dominate Roads by 2030" on a new think tank report that predicts 95% of all car miles driven in the US by 2030 will be in self-driving electric cars. For IEEE Spectrum on May 5, 2017
* "Will a New Glass Battery Accelerate the End of Oil?" on the promise of a new lithium- or sodium-glass battery developed by John Goodenough (co-inventor of the lithium-ion battery) at the University of Texas at Austin, for IEEE Spectrum on March 3, 2017.
* "Report: Tesla Gigafactory a Well-Played Overreach," an article for IEEE Spectrum on Sept. 4, 2014
* "Tesla, Panasonic Team Up for 'Giga' Battery Factory," an article for IEEE Spectrum on Aug. 1, 2014.
* "Souped-up battery prepares to slay the gas guzzlers"
The dream of climate-friendly, petroleum-free motoring is creeping closer - thanks to a clutch of breakthroughs in nanotechnology. Several recently reported lab findings promise to vastly improve the safety and performance of the high-capacity batteries that electric cars will need, at last making them a viable alternative to today's petroleum-powered vehicles.
(cc) image by Steve Jurvetson