High Performance Computing (HPC)
A series of articles since 2001 on supercomputing/high-performance computing (HPC) and the challenges of "big data":
1) "Use a GPU to Turn a PC Into A Supercomputer." A story for IEEE Spectrum on July 8, 2016
2) "Europe Wants A Supercomputer Made From Smartphones" -- on the international consortium that hopes to make next-generation HPC out of not desktop or laptop CPUs but rather the ARM cores at the heart of tablets and smartphones. A story for IEEE Spectrum on May 20, 2014
3) China’s new top-ranked supercomputer is at the top of the heap for some needs, but not for the kind of big data sifting that Amazon, Netflix and the NSA do.
An article for IEEE Spectrum on June 17, 2013, image courtesy Graph500.
4) In the same vein, I wrote another article for Spectrum on the birth of the "Graph 500" supercomputer benchmark in Dec. 2010
5) "Optical Lasers in a $100 Cable, Really" - on the optical cables developed for supercomputer centers making their way into consumer electronics
6) A story about the launch of the Terascale Supercomputing System at the Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center for Wired.com
7) "Liquid Logic" - a feature article on quantum computing for Wired magazine (2001)
Image courtesy of Barcelona Supercomputing Center, www.bsc.es